Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stuff that Helped me Breastfeed


Ok so as I said before, I needed a lot of gadgets to help me get through all the challenges that nursing my tenacious little infant presented. Below is a list of the ones that helped the most and where I got them. 
  1. Nipple shields. The ones I used often were Avent brand that my mother-in-law found at SM Megamall (around P800 for a pair). I’ve also seen them at the Hypermarket in libis and in Rustan’s. They were recommended by the midwife at the hospital when she noticed that baby J just couldn’t latch on properly. Frustrated and scared, I asked my mother-in-law to find me nipple shields so these were sort of an emergency purchase, no time to read reviews or comparison shop. Eventually I found a better kind, Medela brand available at Rustan’s (I think 1,200 a pair), but by then the baby wasn’t using them as much anymore. Take note that these things have sizes! I made the mistake of buying smalls and ended up never using them, buy the mediums to be safe.
I used these not so much to prevent soreness, they don’t do a good job of that, but to help baby latch. For latch these are great. You place them on top of the nipple and the baby’s suction will pull your nipple into the shield’s shape. For us the problem I think was that my nipples were flat and almost inverted, then the baby’s mouth was too small. So I credit these shields for my success in nursing, used them until he was about 3 months old. There are certainly downsides to these, including inefficient milk transfer (see kellymom for a full discussion), but women like me just cannot nurse without them. Just wean as soon as you are able, when baby is big enough to learn how to nurse without them.


For more see: Medela site on nipple shields

2. Breast shells. Great invention these things. Also used Avent brand since these were cheapest at Amazon when a friend was able to bring them home. I have seen them at SM stores as well for P1200, really expensive considering they were $12 on Amazon. When nipples get sore from friction with the baby’s tongue as he nurses, the pain sometimes gets worse when it then chafes against your bra or top. The shells protect your boobs from friction against clothing, giving them time to heal up and you some freedom to move around without pain. Put on some Lanolin (available at most baby sections in department stores and possibly Mercury Drug) after nursing then wear the shells.

3. Manual breast pump. I had an expensive brand electric pump which I used at home, a Medela that a friend gave me, that one is for the everyday pumping. For travel and overall mobility, have a manual pump. I bought a cheap one at Shopwise (P700), it doesn’t even have a brand, but it works well. These actually feel like they have more suction than the electric pump. You will need it for when you’re on road trips, on weekends out of town, for dealing with plugged ducts when you need stronger suction.

4. Warm compress. Warm wet heat is best for dealing with plugged ducts and mastitis. Believe me these are a b*tch to deal with and you want to make sure you are vigilant about checking for them and getting to fixing them before they get infected. If you don't feel like spending, make your own: put some bigas (uncooked rice) in a couple of socks, sew up the open ends, microwave for 30 seconds until warm. 
Some of these are tricky to find the Philippines. If you are not in a terrible hurry I suggest going online and checking if you can find these on the many mommy sites on multiply.

No comments:

Post a Comment