Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I Say No to Tie-Sides

All new Pinoy moms feel like they ABSOLUTELY NEED tie-sides, that newborn infants cannot wear anything else but these strange shirts with lots of string that you need to ribbon together. I am guilty of this ten times over, and issue my formal apologies to all those expecting moms who I gifted plenty of tie-sides. It's not until recently that I realized that in many other countries, like the US for instance, they don't even see these around much:

I have news for all you expectant Pinoy moms out there, these are completely optional! In fact I wouldn't recommend buying a single one. Buy soft cotton shirts that button or snap in the front instead. Can't tell you how many times my husband and I, while struggling to catch up with all the demands of a newborn, screamed at the top of our lungs "STUPID F^*CKING TIE-SIDES". They have invented buttons, and snaps, and hooks, all manner of snapping together parts of the shirt that do not require fussing about with ribbons. Don't let the overly-eager salespeople at SM baby, force these on your shopping basket (along with the bigkis that you also absolutely do not need). You can find button downs, or if you're more progressive, onesies. Our favorite is a winnie-the-pooh button-down, we bought 3 really tiny ones and they were used a lot.

It is not easy to tie 4 ribbons while your frazzled self is listening to piercing screams of an unhappy baby. Besides, those pieces of string seem like a choking hazard. The ones be bought have gone to the donate pile.

So, skip the tie-sides and I think you'll be all the more relaxed during changing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment