Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sling, Wrap and Carry



From:http://www.hybridrastamama.com
/2011/04/babywearing-around-world.html
 My first piece of babywearing gear was a Baby Bjorn, bought online and shipped here from Amazon. It was around $60 and looked incredibly cool and hip with a babywearing dad on the box. I used this until the baby was too heavy for front carry. Then a pouch sling from an IndigoManila kiosk at the SM baby sale, really cheap. Finally a ring sling bought from Rustan's, Next9 brand. Reviews below:

1. Baby Bjorn. It's really cool and modern. Baby can face front and be completely entertained as you walk around. If the kid faces your chest he can sleep. The downside is that it's hot in there for the little man, the thick foamy cushion is wrapped around his entire torso down to his bottom. A serious consideration for us tropical dwellers. The thing is supposed to be good for until he is 25 pounds but once he hit 16 pounds we started throwing our backs from carrying him. This would last longer with slower growing babies, but our kid was 20 pounds by the time he was 6 months so the Bjorn was sent to storage earlier than anticipated. 

2. Pouch sling (P500 on sale). I kept this sling in the diaper bag all the time. It's not adjustable so only has the fabric you absolutely need to sling around your baby. Problem is, it's not adjustable. I bought the biggest size and since I'm a tad taller than the typical pinoy mom it was still about 4 inches too short for my taste. I could still use it, the baby was just higher up on my hip than I would prefer. Now that the baby is 7 months he has almost outgrown it. Since it was cheap I'd still recommend this, not as a primary carrier but as a backup to bring around with you.

3. Ring sling (P1000 at Rustan's Next9 brand). (*Update below) Ring slings are notorious for having a steep learning curve. The accompanying DVD helped with step-by-step instructions on the many ways you can carry a baby with a ring sling. I was afraid it would not feel secure because it is so easily adjustable, but it actually does, although at this point I wouldn't sling him to my back. There are more options for carry styles on this. The problem with the one I have is the fabric, I chose based on color, a color my husband wouldn't feel too undignified in (i.e. no pink teddy bears). Got the green one with little prints on it, but the fabric was way too thick and stiff for a ring sling! I had it laundered to try to make it softer, had it doused with fabric softener, but no dice. It was practically impossible to adjust while the baby is on, which is supposed to be a big advantage of the ring sling. It know it was the construction because I've seen a ring sling (a friend's) that works well, but I can't find that brand in Manila, I'd have to order it from Amazon. 

So far local brands have been disappointing, and i'm not likely to buy anymore as it feels like having 3 carriers is already too much and the baby is already 21 pounds. I might change my mind though since he is getting to that needy age of wanting to be carried all the time, and I don't have the arm strength for long periods of carry.

*Update on ring sling: The very nice proprietress of Next9 was so kind to send me a replacement ring sling (thank you!). Very thoughtful to send over a sling in a manly blue color as well. The fabric on this one is much thinner and it made a huge difference in terms of adjustability. So, if you do decide to buy a ringsling (the Next9 ones are the most widely available in Manila and online), pick the one with thin slippery fabric for ease of use. Those rings are very very sturdy so you'll find that it will still feel robust even if the fabric is thin. 

1 comment:

  1. You're right the cloth is too stiff. I got myself a Next9 ring sling too for my newborn and it just isn't easy to adjust with the stiffness of the cloth. I was intending to buy another one so I have something to use while the other is washed, but it just isn't easy to adjust especially for someone who is new at baby wearing...

    ReplyDelete