Friday, July 20, 2012

Nursing bras and jog bras

Nobody really warned me about exactly how much bigger one's boobies gets when breastfeeding. I mean seriously, these missiles are logistical problems now, presenting a multitude of fashion dilemmas.

Nursing bras are fairly easy to find in department stores, if you're a cup size A-C and generally Filipino-size all around (i.e. petite and slim), which I most definitely am not. I didn't shop for nursing bras before giving birth because a generous friend gave me a couple of really expensive ones and I wasn't really sure yet that I'd be able to nurse. So by the time I did decide to buy a few nursing bras it was already an urgent purchase. No time to comparison shop online and off. So to trusty SM Megamall I went.

The cheap brands have decent nursing bras but they only go up in size to 38 C, given how badly they fit I would guess I'm at least a D cup. So-en had these for under P400 (apologies I forget the exact figure), and the Avon store had a couple in stock for the same price. The So-en one was tighter even if both were the same size, and less comfortable than the Avon I think because the fabric was less cotton-y. Between the two I recommend the Avon if you can find a store or seller. They are cheap and do the trick, so long as they are the right size for you.

Also spent some time at the Centris Sunday Market looking for nursing bras, there are sellers there that carry export overruns of imported brands. Not a lot of options on size but I did find a couple ones for really cheap (P150) even though they were the wrong size, 40 A, I figured I could make up for the cup size with a larger circumference. WRONG! I would only wear these around the house because they fit so poorly and held nothing up. So don't buy ill-fitting bras, they're a waste of money.

There are a lot of imported expensive nursing bras available online, but I wasn't really willing to pay more than P600 per bra. I only need the convenience when am out with the baby. When at work and all I need to do is pump I can wear a normal bra.

Two months after giving birth I felt ready to go to the gym, maybe do some running. Boy was I wrong. Running with size D breasts is practically impossible without a good supporting bra. So off I went again to buy new jog bras. On these I spend more money, around 800, because I had exacting standards. I hate those bras that you have to pull over your head, so needed ones that snap in the back. Found them at Jockey in SM. Even with supposedly rock hard support and making sure I nurse or pump both boobs empty before i leave the house, I was still jiggling around quite a bit at the gym. When I did finally decide to do a full-trot jog on the treadmill, learned that jog bras were not enough. I did a DIY fix and strapped those babies close to my chest with the stomach binder/girdle the hospital gave me when I gave birth. Worked like a charm! Not exactly comfy but they held me in!

Now that I'm back working full-time I have to invest in good going-out bras. Even though I'm not nursing as much as before it doesn't look like I will be back to my old size anytime soon. They don't have to be nursing bras because i don't take the baby with me so it'll be an easier purchase. Back to Centris we go, there's a lady there that sells overrun Victoria's Secret and CK:)


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Nice blog, I like it. I really appreciate you to this beautiful information about the best nursing bra share with us. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete