Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pre-birth shopping

New moms can be easily immersed in the overwhelming task of shopping for baby. It was fun for me but ultimately overwhelming. You can drop a lot of cash buying things you thought you'd need but never will, things websites try to sell you, things your friendly SM saleslady will convince you is necessary but is absolutely not. I fell prey to many such traps, and wish I had taken a seasoned mom with me to the big shopping trip, I would have saved so much money. There were also items I wish I bought more of before the baby was born.

Things they will tell you to buy but you might not need:
1. Mittens and booties. My baby refused to wear these from day 1. I know they are cute and are so hard to resist at the store, but believe me they are optional. Buy 1 pair of mittens to check if the baby will tolerate them then buy more as needed, or better yet ask your friends if they have any to spare. Booties are silly, who wants to tie stupid ribbons? Buy socks instead, those are more useful.
2. Washcloths. Don't let the SM lady talk you into buying washcloths, these are glorified bimpos. They are too small for any kind of practical use. Just use regular bimpos or lampins for washing needs.
3. Shoes for newborn babies. Experts say babies should not start wearing shoes until they are walking so don't waste your money on shoes. Besides, you will receive several as gifts. I am guilty of gifting these a lot because they are so damn cute and didn't know any better. Now I know, baby shoes are useless, buy your pregnant friend a couple of onesies instead.
4. Pillows. They have these all wrapped up nice in the baby departments, sets of 2 bolsters and 1 baby pillow. Experts say don't put pillows around your baby, so don't buy them. The lady is going to try to ram these down your throat and make you feel like an irresponsible mother for not buying special pillows (and the linens for them!) for the baby, resist. Instead I suggest investing in a swaddle or just getting a big receiving blanket to make baby feel like he is still snugly in your uterus.
5. Bigkis. Don't believe the pushy lady, these are not recommended by pediatricians. They will not make your baby's bellybutton an innie.
6. Baby fabric softener. Completely useless, minimize use of any chemicals.
7. A large bottle of baby soap. Babies use very very very little soap, AND they could be allergic to certain kinds of soap. I made the mistake of buy this large bottle of Chicco's baby soap because it was on sale, turns out it reacted strangely to my baby's sweat and made him stink to high hell. Sayang ang pera.

Things I wish I had bought more of before I gave birth:
1. Cotton onesies, and button-down shirts. See my post on saying no to tie-sides.
2. Large receiving blankets, at least 4. Don't get the small ones, you can't swaddle a baby in those.
3. Newborn diapers. Stock up whether you are cloth or disposable diapering. I thought 1 big bag would be enough to hold us over, but these little buggers can go through a dozen a day! Also cloth diapers are usually too big for newborns, so you'll probably be on disposables for at least the first couple of weeks.

Remember that babies really only need: mommy's boobs, diapers, clothes. All other things are pretty optional, so if you are trying to save money in preparation for those hospital bills when you give birth remember to shop frugally. Also, ask your friends for stuff, the mommy supply chain is a beautiful thing for both receivers and givers (storage space!).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for shearing information.Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!
    Baby diapers online

    ReplyDelete