Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Baby turns his head a lot while nursing

Once baby starts gaining clearer vision and hearing, he will be so excited about seeing things around him that he will become easily distractible when nursing. Even bottlefeeding moms will notice this. Kid is happily drinking away at his bottle then dad walks in, baby turns his head to look... ooh light!, baby turns his head... pretty hair mommy, turns his head. This is fine when attached to the bottle because bottles can travel with the head-turn, boobies, not so much.

Distractible babies can inflict real pain on breastfeeding moms. My baby would look at my eyes, give me a big grin with my nipple between his gums, then clamp down and turn his head. It's really cute but it is PAINFUL! I do the nursing time-outs where after 3 of these head-turns the bra goes on and mom closes up the soda shop. Baby gets a firm "enough!" shout from me, which is greeted by a happy smile btw so I don't think it does anything really.

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/tips-for-nursing-strikes.html

It may seem mean to stop nursing your baby when he is really distractible and making it painful, but in my experience, when they are more interested in looking around than continuously eating, then they are not really hungry. When baby J is 100% there to eat, he is ALL BUSINESS, he closes his eyes even and goes to town on the boob.

Now that he is getting bigger I find that he asks to nurse less and less. In fact I offer him a boob every now and then even though I know he hasn't asked for it just because I'm starting to miss our private nursing time.

For more info on dealing with distractible babies:

Kellymom on the distractible baby

No comments:

Post a Comment